Atkins Diet Plan Review
The Original Low Carbohydrate Diet
The Atkins Diet plan is the original low carbohydrate diet, first designed by Dr Robert Atkins and published in 1992. It recently enjoyed a resurgence in popularity when Hollywood embraced low carbohydrate dieting as a way to maintain a low weight. The Atkins diet has been proven time and time again to promote quick weight loss.
• Weight loss can be rapid
• Energy levels remain high for successful users
• No weighing and measuring required
• Dieters can lose 10lbs in the first 5 weeks
• Very difficult to stick to effectively for most people
• Can cause headaches, nausea and tiredness
• Relies on inducing ketosis in users, this is an unnatural and toxic state
• Does not limit fats and so can increase cholesterol levels
The Atkins diet is followed by cutting all carbohydrates out of the diet. After a short time this stimulates a process called ketoacidosis, where the body burns fat for energy producing ketones. Ketones are measured in the urine to check the progress of the diet. Ketones are toxic by-products of metabolism that have to be cleared through the kidneys. Followers of the Atkins Diet have to drink plenty of water to flush these out, and prevent the side effects they can cause such as headaches and nausea. The Atkins diet allows certain carbohydrates. After following the diet for two weeks people are allowed to increase the level of carbohydrate in the diet, until a maintenance phase is reached. Weight loss on the Atkins diet can be very rapid which appeals to many dieters.
Atkins Diet Menu Plan Sample
- Breakfast: Greek Omelet with Sliced Tomatoes
- Lunch: Ham and Turkey Chef Salad
- Dinner: London Broil with Broiled Herb-Tomato
- Afternoon Snack: Cream Cheese with Chives Ham Wrap
The Atkins diet works for many people, but fails for many others. It is difficult to follow for most people. The original Atkins diet plan made no distinction between good and bad fats and has led to complaints that the Atkins diet is unhealthy for the heart.
This type of low carbohydrate diet plan can be very difficult to follow, and care must be taken not to eat too many saturated fats. For more information visit the Atkins Diet Website